A kathi roll is street food originating from Kolkata. Kebab wrapped in a paratha. These are a common street food found in many parts of India.
I have tried kathi rolls of vegetarian version using cottage cheese (paneer). But you can try with vegetables or noodles as par your taste.This recipe is a stomach filling and it’s best for office-goers and school going kids. you can try with different sauces or green chutney. I have used wheat flour for chapati but you can use all purpose flour also. Try this simple recipe and enjoy the taste.
Total time: 35 mins
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients for the roti:
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
100 grams spinach chopped
1/2 cup water
Ingredients for filling :
1 cup grated paneer
1 medium onion chopped finely
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
Salt as per taste
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chat masala
1/2 tsp oil
Method and Images:
Method for making chapati
1. Wash and chopped spinach.
2. Add water in a pan put chopped spinach and add pinch of salt. Boil for 4-5 mins on a medium flame. After 5 mins drain out the water put 1 glass of cold water to make it cool.
3.Now make a fine paste using grinder.
4. Put whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add spinach paste.
4.Pour water just as needed and make soft dough. Knead well until it became soft.
5. Heat pan for making the chapati
6. Roll the chapati using the rolling board with whole wheat flour.The same way we do for making normal roti.
7. When pan is hot, transfer the chapati to the pan. Flip it cook on both the sides until brown spot appear. You can add ghee or oil in this step , cook just the same way we cook parthas. I have cooked without using oil and ghee to make it more healthy. Transfer cooked chapati to the plate.
Steps for making filling for chapati :
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add onion fry it until it became golden in color, cook in a medium flame.
3. Add scrambled paneer , cumin powder, chat powder ,garam masala powder and tomato ketchup cook for 2-3 mins. Switch off the gas, let it get cool.
4. Now fill the paneer in chapatiis and roll it.
5. Now rolls are ready to serve.