28 November, 2019
Dal Bati in OTG
Dal Bati recipe is a popular traditional Rajasthani recipe. It is served in combination with dal, hari mirch sabzi and churns. It is one of my favourite cuisine which I am always ready to cook and eat.
I have learned this recipe from two of my friends with whom I share the best memories. These girls were always ready to cook for me and they always gave invitation to have bati with them.
The dal bati , which is ideally served with churma( made of crumbled chapatis and dipped in ghee and jaggery) consist of whole wheat and mix dal having 3-4 different types of lentils.
Bati is dipped in ghee but If you are health conscious you can eliminate this step.
Preparation time – 2 hrs 30 minutes
Cooking time – 30 mins
Ingredients for Dal Bati:
Wheat flour 2 cups
Ghee 1/3 cup
Baking soda 1/4 tsp
1. Mix flour , salt , baking soda and ghee in a big utensil mix all ingredients nicely.
2. Mix nicely with your fingers, flour should form a small ladoo. This step is very important.
3. Add little water and knead the dough, don’t make it too soft. less than 1/2 cup of water for kneading.
4. Keep the dough in a dump cloth and let it rest for 30 mins
5. After 30 minutes make balls from dough. Keep the size same for all balls. Same way we make equal balls for chapatis. Keep it on the oven tray .Bake the bati in 175 degree Celsius for 10 minutes. Time can vary for different ovens. Keep tray in a middle rack.
6. After 10 minutes flip the side of Bati and bake it for 10 more minutes.
7. Now batis are ready.
How to Serve Bati:
- Break the bati into two pieces and pour about one teaspoon of hot melted ghee over and serve with bowl of hot dal.
- If you have baked the batties earlier heat the batties in oven for about 10 minutes.
Recipe for dal:
- In a pressure cooker add dal with 4 cups of water, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, and ginger, cook on medium flame.
- Now Add garam masala and amchoor, mix it well.
- Heat ghee in a small saucepan for seasoning; after ghee is hot add cumin seeds as they crack add asafetida, red chilies , garlic and red chili powder. Stir for a few seconds.Now add cooked dal.
- Mix it well and let it simmer for two to three minutes.
- Dal is ready.