31 December, 2019
Jalebi is a popular Indian dessert made with maida and sugar syrup. Served during festivals and special occasions, this traditional dessert recipe is loved not just by kids but adults too. This crispy sugary spiral tastes brilliant when served with piping hot milk or chilled Rabri. Traditionally, a muslin cloth with a small outlet is used to make the Jalebi, by pouring it in a spiral shape in the piping hot oil. However, to make the process easier, you can use a squeezy bottle, which makes it much simpler. The golden rule to make amazing Jalebis, is by well fermenting the batter. For a twist, this simple recipe can also be served as a breakfast with milk or curd. delightful. It is always advisable to prepare Jalebi by shallow frying, and if you are someone who loves the aroma and taste of ghee, then you can use ghee instead of using refined oil. If you like it in the traditional way, you can serve it with Rabri or Milk, Rabri you can top it with some condensed milk or Vanilla ice cream.
Preparation time: 24 hours 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time 24 hrs 45 minutes
1 cup maida
2 tbs corn flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp orange colour
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp lemon juice
A pinch of cardamom powder
Steps and pictures for making jalebi batter:
1. Sieve maida in a bowl. Add corn flour, baking powder and curd.
2. Mix all the ingredients properly and make a thick batter using water.
3. Cover the batter with a lid and keep for fermentation for 24hrs in a room temperature.
4. The batter will have tiny bubbles on the surface, its volume not increase.
5. Now add orange colour mix it well, it should have dropping consistency .
6. Pour the batter into jalebi maker bottle.
7. Add water in a heavy pan add sugar and heat it over medium flame.
8. Cook until the syrup reaches to 1 string consistency meantime add cardamom powder.
9.When it reaches to 1 string consistency, add lemon juice.Mix well and turn off the flame.
10. Heat ghee in a pan, when ghee is hot , make round jalebi by squeezing the bottle. Make 2-3 spirals of batter.
11. Flip 2-3 time and deep fry until light golden and crispy.
12. Remove it from ghee and immediately put it into the warm sugar syrup. Keep in a syrup for 2-3 minutes.
13. Remove it from a syrup and transfer into a plate.Jalebi is now ready to serve.
Tips and Variations:
1. Add few spoon of maida , if the batter is thin after fermentation.
2. If the batter is thick jalebi turn soft , if batter is thin it will turn flat and crispy.
3. I have used ghee for deep frying , you can use cooking oil also.