Preparation time : 30mins
Cooking time : 1hr 30 mins
Cusine : Desert
Gajar ka halwa or carrot halwa is very famous Indian dessert recipe which is usually prepared in winter months. Or I can say we can’t imagine winter without eating it. It is a traditional slow cooked recipe with just carrots, milk, ghee, sugar and a few dry fruits. It is made with varied ingredients like with or without milk, milkmaid, khoya etc. It depends on the taste and flavour of each ingredient that enhances the richness.
There are several ways by which you can cook carrot halwa. You can use pressure cooker or the microwave to cut short the process of cooking but the real taste lies in taking the time and painstakingly cooking it over low flame continuously in an open pan. Its incomparable.
Gajar ka halwa always remind of childhood memories.. For me this one is my mom recipes who used to cooked patiently we waited to taste halwa.
- 1kg Carrots 🥕
- 1 litre Full Fat Milk
- 120 gram Ghee
- 250 gram Sugar
- Dry fruit
Steps of making gajar ka halwa with images:
- Wash and trim both the ends of the carrot. Lightly scrap the outer skin and grate the skin.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan after boiling of milk add carrot. Cook on the low flame till the milk disappear. This process take 1hr to complete. Keep of stirring in between.
- It should look like this after disappearing of milk.
- In same pan add ghee, sugar and dry fruits…. I have added dryfruits powder because my kids refused to eat dryfruits.
- Stir well and continue to simmer and cook on a low flame until ghee starts to leaves on the side. It take 20-30 mins.
- Serve hot or warm.
Tips and Variations:
1. Try to use fresh carrots.
2. Always use full fat milk
3. Keep stirring the halwa at regular intervals for better taste.
4. Almond and pistachio used for garnishing.
5. You can freeze the halwa for 1 week.