19 April, 2020
Moong dal halwa
Moong dal halwa is a rich recipe from Rajasthan. It is mainly in demand during the winter months, as it is supposed to keep the body warm and protect it from the bitter winter. Moong dal halwa is often prepared during Diwali and weddings in India. It’s a must recipe for receptions.
Moong dal halwa is an dessert famous in North-India and is made with yellow moong dal. This authentic dish is very rich in every bit of effort put into making this recipe is worth it. Moong dal halwa melts in your mouth.
It takes a long time and lots of patience sauté the dal and prepare the moong dal halwa and it will probably require a little extra ghee too! However, the outcome is worth every minute of extra effort you put into it.
This is my first attempt of making moong dal halwa, believe me it came out perfect and it taste like divine. While making halwa you have to be patience otherwise halwa will get spoil.
Preparation time : 3 hrs
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time : 3 hrs 45 minutes
Ingredients for making halwa:
Yellow split moong dal – 1 cup
Ghee – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Warm milk – 1 cup
Method of making moong dal halwa :
1. Firstly, use only yellow split moong dal for making halwa.
2. Soak dal in water for 3 hrs.
3. After 3 hrs , now we grind the dal using mixer. I have grind dal without adding water on it. But If you feel water is needed than add 2-3 tsp. If paste became liquid than it would be difficult to fry it. So don’t make it watery.
4. Heat heavy pan add ghee, when ghee becomes heat than add dal paste. Mix it very well. Keep stirring
5. Regulate the flame to medium and keep stirring.
6. Constantly keep stirring and fry till the moisture evaporates. Then reduce the flame to low and keep breaking the lumps and fry until the dal turns deep golden and aromatic.
7. Now add sugar and cardamom powder .
8. Now pour the milk on it . Keep stirring. I have used here warm milk you can use room temperature milk also but don’t use cold milk.
9. Keep stirring continuously and cook on a medium flame. It take 10-15 minutes. Sauté until the entire liquid is absorbed.
10. Saute the mixture until the halwa leaves the pan.
11. Halwa is ready,always serve hot.
- 2-3 almonds (chop finely)
- 2-3 pistachios (chop finely)
Tips and Variations :
1. Always use heavy pan.
2. Blend it to a almost smooth but very slightly coarse. If needed than only add water for grinding dal.
3. For marking perfect halwa, fry it with patience.
4. For making halwa ghee has to be with proper quantity otherwise frying will become difficult. Halwa will not taste good.