Puran poli is traditional sweet chapati with sweet lentil filling. Puran poli is a maharashtrian word which constit of two words puran and poli. Puran means filling and poli means chapati.
We make chapatis with the jaggery and lentil filling with the flavour of home made ghee. Puran poli is originally from Maharashtra. Basically it is prepared on the new year day of Maharashtrians . We use chana dal for making puran poli. This delicious dish recipe is extremely rich in flavour and is a great option to serve during festivals.
Puran poli also prepared in Gujrat but instead of using chana dal it’s prepared by using toor dal.
You can pack this recipe in your kids lunchbox. It’s a great recipe and should be consumed with ghee.
You can add sugar also instead of jaggery. I prefer jaggery because jaggery has its own health benefits.
Preparation time: 15 minutes.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hr
Wheat flour 1 cup
Chana dal 1.5 cup
Green cardamom powder 2 tsp
Pinch of salt
Water as needed
How to make Stuffing.
Steps and Images:
1. Soak chana dal for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes drain out water and wash it.
2. After 30 minutes put the dal in cooker and add water. Cook for 10 – 12 minutes on medium flame. It should became soft and little dry. If water is left, strain the excess water.
3. Now, put jaggery powder, cardamom powder on cooked dal and mix it well
4. Heat heavy pan transfer the mixture. Cook it until it became dry. Keep the low medium flame. Stir it continuously. This step will take time. we need to have patience.
5. Now the dal stuffing is ready. Let it get cool. Never fill hot stuffing in chapatis.
5. Take wheat flour add pinch of salt. Knead the soft dough, the same way we make for chapatis.
How to make puran poli
6. Take a medium size ball from the dough. Roll it 2-3 inches in circumference on a rolling board. Place a portion of puran mixture in the center of the rolled dough.
7. Now , join all the edges and roll it.
8. Heat ‘tawa and placed the roll dough on it . Cook it on medium flame. When one side get brown than turn to another side.Once it done than put ghee.
9 Puran poli is ready. Serve hot with ghee.
Tips and Variations
1. While rolling the puran poli, If it breaks than add some dry flour.
2. Instead of whole wheat flour, you can use all purpose flour also.
3. Instead of jaggery you can use sugar also.
4. Be careful while making dal stuffing. Keep flame always on low medium and keep starring.